Version 0.19.X Deployment

Hello world!

I’m sure many of you fine folks have been wondering why we have not upgraded to version 0.19.X yet.

The whole team here has been getting asked this question quite a bit, from both members of the community and other instance admins. We want everyone to know, YES, we will upgrade to version 0.19.

We do not have a hard date set for when we will be upgrading as of yet, as we have about 7 associated task items that go along with this upgrade for things we need to double-check and confirm there will be no breakage.

Another big reason why we have not upgraded is due to reports from other instance admins that the front-end GUI can have performance issues. While a large portion of folks access our site using apps on their phones, we would rather not degrade the user experience for the rest of everyone else.

Worst case in terms of UI slowness, we would ask everyone to use either Alexandrite () or Photon () to mitigate the potential performance issues.

One final point to mention to address the delay is that we usually wait 1-2 weeks after a new release before applying it to production. This was complicated by the fact that there were multiple releases right after each other, with each new release having issues we hoped would be patched in the NEXT version. A new version would come up, and we would have to evaluate the stability and performance of it, which would take about 2 weeks, and then ANOTHER version would come out, which we would need to test. This was further complicated by the fact this was during the holiday season.

Version Release Date
0.19.0 2023-12-15
0.19.1 2023-12-20
0.19.2 2024-01-10
0.19.3 2024-01-24

For us, stability is paramount, as we care very much about keeping everyone happy here.

While we can appreciate the rapid release of patches on 0.19, I hope everyone can now understand the delay. If all goes well, we will set a release day in the next week or two, most likely on a Saturday around 1800 UTC.

-jelloeater85

  • @tal
    link
    64
    edit-2
    3 months ago

    Speaking as someone who is on an instance (lemmy.today) that ran into a bunch of breakage from the 0.19.X releases, and which still isn’t fully resolved, and where the instance admin said that he wished that he could downgrade to 0.18.X but couldn’t due to schema changes, I strongly endorse a conservative approach. The releases have not really met the bar that one might want for stability.

    That’s especially true for lemmy.world, since it hosts a large chunk of the Fediverse communities, and if it has serious problems, there are gonna be spillover effects even on users elsewhere. I’d wait until less-critical instances have been the guinea pig for a bit on releases.

    • @maness300@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      143 months ago

      Seriously. Less is more.

      There’s no need to keep up with the meme of releasing updates as quickly as possible.

    • @ItsMeSpez@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      83 months ago

      Well said. I will happily forgo some new features for a while if it means that the overall experience is more consistent.